Southern California Golf Academy Owner
Ranked among America's Best Young Teachers 2016-2017 by Golf Digest
- 2011-2016 worked as a Master Instructor at The Jim McLean Junior Academy in Dallas/Fort Worth
- In addition to working with Jim McLean Devan has had the opportunity to spend significant time with Jim Hardy, Hank Haney, Mike Bender, Chuck Cook, Jim Flick, and Carl Welty
- Aided Jim McLean in the writing of his "Death Moves" book in 2009
- Some of the notable players he worked with while Jim’s Assistant were Greg Norman, Keegan Bradley, Lexi Thompson, Eric Compton, and Vaughn Taylor
- In 2007 he began his teaching career working for one of the golf industry's lead Jim McLean at PGA West in La Quinta, California
- Received a B.S. in Psychology from San Diego State University, 2007
- Played collegiate golf at College of the Desert in Palm Desert, CA
- Born and raised in Portland, OR
Devan enjoys working with players of all abilities from the High Performance Junior to the Weekend Golfer, or just anyone looking to pick up the game and have fun!
Devan’s Philosophy: I believe it is the teachers job to adapt to the student not the other way around. My biggest goal is to find the areas of your game that need the most help and turn them into strengths. It may be your full swing, your course management, or your short game. I use every possible tool available to me to give you the correct information and also to convey this information in a simple manner. In order to improve you need to know EXACTLY what you are currently doing, what you want to do instead, and what path will take you there. I learned this 3-step system from Jim McLean and it is bulletproof. Most lessons consist of both video with high-speed cameras while simultaneously running Trackman to get an MRI of your impact and quantitative data. I then explain what the data is telling us and show you via the video what is causing the numbers to be what they are. I have thousands of tour swings to give you a visual picture on what direction you need to go (not necessarily what you need to do). Drills are a key component to learning as well and I will prescribe you the necessary tools to isolate the change and own it. Your time is valuable make sure you are making your practice sessions (as short or as long as they may be) as efficient as possible.
Schedule a lesson by calling Devan directly on his cell phone: 503-706-7187
Visit the Southern Calfornia Golf Academy